THE FLOAT ALMANAC PROJECT
WHAT IS AN ALMANAC?
An 'almanac' is an annual publication that includes information such as weather forecasts, tide tables, and tabular information often arranged according to the calendar.
WHAT IS THE FLOAT ALMANAC?
Well, it's an arts project! ... so in 2017 we invited everyone (i.e. YOU) to create a more creative ALMANAC about Lake Tyers, to help us celebrate the FLOAT project. To gather data about the Lake's flora & fauna, to convey its moods, to document its history, to unearth local knowledge, to monitor the weather, tell the stories, photograph the people, observe the nature - whatever aspect of life on the Lake that takes your fancy. (Whimsy & humour is welcome!) (And yes, over the course of an entire year.)
We invited you to capture the annual cycle of Lake Tyers, and record it in your own unique way - written, sewn, recorded, filmed, sculpted, woven ... any media at all
WHEN DID IT START?
We launched on 21 December 2016 (Summer Solstice) with a glass of port on the beach - but we all took a long time now to firm up our ideas and really start work.
But YOU can still JOIN IN ANYTIME. The point is to be a part of it. We really encourage everyone to come up with an idea at any time - and start work!
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Anyone! Of course we have loads of LTB locals - but we love knowing that artists and environmentalists, story gatherers and makers are coming from all over the place - visiting Lake Tyers throughout 2017 to do their thing!
Some will work alone as individuals - but others are forming partnerships and little groups. There are no rules.
IS IT OK TO JUST WORK ON MY OWN?
Yep - everyone just comes and goes as they please and make work at their own pace. You don't have to 'fit in' with us. But we have set up a calendar of FLOAT gatherings - so that IF you WANT to come along, and walk or talk, or inspire others, or be inspired, as more of a group conversation - you'll know when and where to find us.
A WHOLE YEAR?
Yes - the work will span the entire year. But that could mean continually, regularly or just occasionally over the course of the year. Daily, weekly, monthly - or just once every season. (And how YOU define the seasons is YOUR call.) It really is just a plan to immerse you in this PLACE for a year - to notice more, more often.
WHEN DOES IT FINISH?
We stop work on 20 December 2017.
WHAT HAPPENS THEN?
There will be an exhibition of our ALMANAC work during Summer 2018 - on Saturday 3 February 2018 at Lake Tyers House.
Then we'll produce a PRINT ALMANAC featuring work from the exhibition as a permanent guide to the Lake Tyers region. We will negotiate the use of selected material for inclusion in that publication.
HOW DO I BE A PART OF THE PROJECT?
- READ the initial project brief here.
- REGISTER your interest via this form. (It adds you to our mailing list so you stay in the loop).
- JOIN the FLOAT ART @ LTB Facebook Group if you can. It's a great active forum to inspire and update you quickly.
- DECIDE on your idea - we'd love you to tell us what it is whenever you are ready to describe it. Email Andrea Lane @ email@example.com any time.
- CREATE your artworks/words/data/maps at Lake Tyers throughout 2017.
- JOIN the ongoing conversation - see the dates for 2017 gatherings here.
- ENJOY the process!
- FINISH December 2017
- PARTICIPATE in the Summer 2018 Exhibition
- STAY TUNED to be a part of the ongoing development of the FLOAT STUDIO, the FLOAT ALMANAC publication and the FLOAT FORUM.